Thursday, January 10, 2013

Finding Freedom From Fear-of-Death

This week I am talking about apprehending (taking hold of) freedom. Today I want to talk about finding freedom from the fear of death. 

As moms, we especially may be struggling against this fear with the horrific reports of brutal killings on the news and the increase of death from the flu this year. I remember the fear I faced when my kids were small and needed me more when I would hear stories of things going on in the world. I had to fight the fear, because otherwise it would paralyze me and keep me from living in the joy of the moments. So I fought it with my faith. I fight with my faith...

My refuge and help come from bringing my focus off of the 'what if's' and on what I know to be true about God. 

Psalm 139:16 (David is talking to God in this Psalm)
your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
    were written in your book
    before one of them came to be. (ah, I can trust His love, I can trust His plan!)

  
Over the Christmas holiday, we had a 17 year old boy who, while visiting family in our small WI town from his home in TX, came down with the flu and it took his life. You may have seen his story on the news. Since his family are followers of Jesus, it is obvious that their faith is enabling them to cope with their loss because they KNOW that they will see their Max in heaven. And even through grief and loss and tears, they know from His word that compared to eternity, their suffering is momentary...

2 Corinthians 4:18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

Because of the resurrection of Jesus, the way to Heaven was opened to those who are born again into His family, and we have been set free from this fear of death. It doesn't mean we wont experience the feelings of fear, but it does mean we can get victory over it. By entrusting ourselves and our children into His hands. By prayer and assurance from scripture...

Hebrews 2:14-15 
Since the children have flesh and blood, he too (Jesus) shared in their humanity so that by his death he might destroy him who holds the power of death—that is, the devil and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death.

Dear Heavenly Father, I pray for my sisters who may be experiencing fear from all the darkness that seems to be imposing on our lives. I thank you that You are the Light of the world and your Love surrounds us. I thank you that You are a refuge for your people and I pray that we will apprehend your peace when fears knock on our hearts. Thank you that we can cast our anxiety on you for you care for us! Amen!

2 comments:

Aritha V. said...

Thanks Kathy! This post is an encouragement for me. We must more and more focus on Him!

Aritha V. said...

Thank you. This post is an great encouragement for me. We must increasingly focus on Him!

ShareThis