Friday, January 16, 2009

Digging Wells


Have you been pursuing something diligently only to encounter contention and opposition? Perhaps you have been praying for someone you love for a long time, with seemingly no answers from the Lord. Perhaps you have been pursuing a dream that the Lord has laid on your heart of writing or establishing a ministry. The more you put into it, the more you encounter obstacles or opposition. People doubt your calling, or you doubt it yourself. Or they oppose it, or get in the way...
Genesis 26:17-22

17 So Isaac moved away from there and encamped in the Valley of Gerar and settled there. 18 Isaac reopened the wells that had been dug in the time of his father Abraham, which the Philistines had stopped up after Abraham died, and he gave them the same names his father had given them.

19 Isaac's servants dug in the valley and discovered a well of fresh water there. 20 But the herdsmen of Gerar quarreled with Isaac's herdsmen and said, "The water is ours!" So he named the well Esek, because they disputed with him. 21 Then they dug another well, but they quarreled over that one also; so he named it Sitnah. 22 He moved on from there and dug another well, and no one quarreled over it. He named it Rehoboth, saying, "Now the LORD has given us room and we will flourish in the land."

What the Lord showed me in this passage is how Isaac persevered in seeking the water until he found it.

The first well was named Esek (contention).
The second was named Sitnah (opposition).
and finally the third Rehoboth (Broad places of fruitfulness)

This is a common experience for God's people in their journey with Him. If we think of stories of Joseph, Moses, Nehemiah, David, Ruth, or modern ministers like John McArthur, or missionaries like Hudson Taylor...we find the same story. In any pursuit or calling there are wells of contention and opposition that come before the broad places of fruitfulness.

Hang in there! Press on, sister! Keep going! Never stop!

Psalm 138:8 The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me; your love, O LORD, endures forever— do not abandon the works of your hands.

11 comments:

Anne said...

Wow, was that for me!! I'm facing major opposition in my walk right now. It is encouraging just to know that the Lord keeps putting these little words of encouragment that I swear, are just for me it seems. Thanks for the post :0)

Angela said...

This post is dead on for me, also! I am trying to write a book and I am definitely facing doubt and all kinds of spiritual opposition! Wow did I need to read this! God really did put this on your heart!

A Stone Gatherer said...

Thank you so much for writing this post! I love how you showed the names for each of the wells! I don't know if you know if or not, but I am the Director of Children's Ministries at our church. Sometimes this job get's down right discouraging! I can say that I have doubted my call in this area for some time! Mostly because I just cannot seem to deal with the apathy well. I hate recruiting volunteers, mostly because I hate (sorry for the strong words) their excuses! I have been praying for the Lord to show me what he would have me do. One thing he is telling me is "I can touch a child's life for Christ, even if I am not Director". I believe he may be releasing me from my call, but am still not sure! I'm just thankful for your post, which continues to give me peace while I wait.

Joni said...

Profound passage to ponder! Lovely blog you have here...very warm and welcoming! Thank you for your kind visit...new friends are always welcome! I'll be back...

Lisa said...

Brilliant! You were right! This is exactly what I needed to refresh my soul, and such a common theme with what I wrote about. Thanks for sharing the Word and the Truth. You have a gift that I have been blessed by today.

Love in Christ,
Lisa

Edie said...

Wow thank you so much for this Kathy. I am pursuing a direction that I believe is God's call for me but have been questioning Him about it due to "lack of fruit." This was confirmation that I needed to hear.

Looks like God spoke a powerful message of encouragement through you today.

Rich blessings to you!

Kelley said...

WOW! This was such a perfect post for me to read today as it is the exact chapter I am studying in my CBS Bible Study. Last week I gave a teaching lecture on Genesis 25. It was titled -The Death of Abraham and came right on the heels of my Dad's death. As we move into Genesis 26 here you are speaking exactly to my circumstances again (opposition & questioning God's call on my life). I just LOVE how God speaks to us through His word and through others! He definitely used you today!

Kristi said...

Kathy, I needed to read this today. Thank you! And thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday. You are welcome any time! Blessings to you!

Tea with Tiffany said...

Timely for me too. I'm praying for wisdom with my ministry. Unsure of how to move forward. Can't go the way I went last year. God must dig a new well, last's years ran dry!

Great encouragement.

Happy 2009, friend.

Joyful said...

Oh Kathy, what encouragement to not give up. Well digging is hard. It takes time and perseverance.

"In any pursuit or calling there are wells of contention and opposition that come before the broad places of fruitfulness.Hang in there! Press on, sister! Keep going! Never stop!Psalm 138:8 The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me; your love, O LORD, endures forever— do not abandon the works of your hands."

My heart feels like it has received a fresh filling. Thank you so much.

Digging on,
Joy

Joyful said...

I'm back :o)

As I've just read through further posts and looked at your pictures, tears have filled my eyes. I love your heart because you're so in love with Jesus. So thankful to have found you here.

Keep loving and following Him,
Love & prayers,
Joy

ShareThis